Office control samples are those which are collected and tested under the control
of an authorised government official. These are collected to provide official verification
that the UK target for the control of Salmonella in laying flocks is being met and
to confirm infection in a flock after a positive operator sample. In most instances
official samples will require the taking of a dust sample as well as the faeces/
boot swabs samples.
The NCP required that these samples will be collected on the following occasions:
- Annually from one flock on all holdings with more than 1,000 birds (official control
- To confirm the presence of Salmonella Enteritidis or Typhimurium in a flock when
an operator sample returns a positive (confirmatory sample)
- In all other laying flocks on the holding where salmonella Enteritidis or Salmonella
Typhimurium is confirmed in one laying flock on the holding (this can also count
as your annual official control sample)
- When a new flock is placed in a house in which the last flock was found to be positive
- Fortnightly faecal samples from flocks when the official dust sample is positive,
but the faeces sample is negative.